5 Backyard Hardscaping Enhancements
When you add hardscaping features to your outdoor living area, you are extending your home’s interior and your lifestyle to the outside. The benefits go beyond just aesthetics. The right elements can allow you to spend more time outdoors and enjoy your time for most seasons. At J&L Hardscapes, we would like to share information on some of the best backyard hardscaping enhancements you should consider adding.
Patios serve many purposes in your backyard, allowing you to create an outdoor dining area, poolside sunbathing area, or a space for a relaxed hangout. You can opt to create them any way you want – simple or complex, but patios provide a great way to enhance your backyard. Pavers are the most popular material option for patios. There are many advantages of installing paver patios:
- Reducing lawn area, thus reducing yard maintenance requirements.
- Pavers are available in endless colors, styles, and sizes, allowing you to create a customized yard feature.
- Customization can also be achieved in the patio layout design and laying the interlocking stones.
- Paver patios are durable, resilient, and long-lasting.
- Pavers resist cracks, frost, deterioration from deicing, erosion, and various forms of wear and tear.
- Repairs are simple, affordable, and quick, as stained, or damaged pavers can be readily replaced.
- Paver patios also provide a non-slip and permeable surface.
If you enjoy spending time outdoors alone or with friends and family, you should have a paver deck added to your backyard. It will create the ideal spot for sunbathing, grilling, and entertainment. Decks are now widely popular and generate over 75% ROI. Pavers are ideally suited for decks because of several reasons, including:
- High durability
- Resistance to salt and chlorine
- Custom looks. You can even create the looks of natural stone
- Excellent traction and underfoot comfort
- Available in many colors, sizes, and shapes
- Ease of maintenance
- Easy and cost-effective to remove and re-install for plumbing or electrical works
A patio pergola, with no walls, creates the sense of an outdoor room with an inviting and open atmosphere. With so many design options to choose from, you can have a pergola that matches or enhances the style of your building and backyard. Some of the most common reasons for building a patio pergola are as follows:
- Extension of indoor room outside
- Protection from weather and sunlight
- Creating an outdoor living space
- Upgrading the outdoor space to add both aesthetic appeal and functionality
A well-designed and well-appointed outdoor kitchen can provide you with everything required to cook inside. You can have everything including pizza ovens, refrigerators, and smokers. From prefabricated kitchen options to having it custom-built from the ground up, you can have it designed anyway. An outdoor kitchen allows you to prep, cook, and serve food outdoors while enjoying the outdoor beauty.
Retaining walls bring stability to your backyard, especially if you have a sloped yard. They can also be integrated into your yard to create a seamless design. It is recommended to follow these tips when integrating a retaining wall:
- Avoid building the wall too high. Grading and filling up can be used if the slope is too steep.
- Design the wall as a part of your outdoor living space.
- You can design a patio surrounded by a seating wall.
Stone and concrete provide the ideal materials for building retaining walls that match and complement your backyard features.
When it comes to adding features to your backyard, there are many more ideas. If you have any ideas, call J&L Hardscapes at (519) 968-0213 to discuss them with us. You may also send us your queries using this Online Form.